Although Avast is a very good free antivirus software, it is not bug-free. And sometimes these bugs can be troublesome. It is another such example, in which after updating Avast when you restart your computer and try to launch Avast, you may receive this error on the restart which displays ‘UI failed to load.’ The message ‘AV Service is not responding’ also appears on the screen and the error dialog offers ‘Exit’ and ‘Restart-Service’ buttons with no other options to choose.
Why does this glitch happen?
The developers of Avast have addressed the issue in an article on its website. They have confirmed that an incorrect Windows Services configuration can cause Avast Antivirus to trigger this error. In this article, we will discuss how to fix the issue in the simplest possible way.
First of all, try exiting or restarting the Antivirus service to see if the problem has been fixed. If not, follow these steps as mentioned below so that you can fix this error and AvastUI opens without any issue.
- Open the Run dialog, and type services.msc. Now, press enter
- Nest, in the Services Console, search and find ‘Remote Desktop Services.’
- Now, double click and set its “Startup Type” to ‘Automatic.’ All you need to do now is ensure that service is running, click ‘Start.’
- Lastly, restart your computer and launch Avast. If all the above steps have been done correctly, its GUI should load without showing the error and hence you can continue with your work.
If the issue persists, you can uninstall and reinstall Avast to check if the issue has been resolved or not.
To uninstall Avast, follow the steps:
- Open Control Panel, go to Programs, and click on Programs and Features.
- Now, select Avast Free Antivirus and click Uninstall
- All you need to do is follow the instructions on your screen and restart your computer when prompted.
- Download and install Avast again from the official software to check if the issue has been resolved or not.
You can also try the repair method if the above methods don’t work.
- First of all, visit the Control Panel, go to Settings, click on Programs and go to Programs and Features
- Now, select Avast, click the ‘Uninstall/Change’ button, and choose ‘Repair’
Avast will make the necessary changes. All you need to do is restart your computer and you are good to go.