Windows Resource Protection Could Not Perform The Requested Operation
Many users reported about the “Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation” error and explained that this problem often happens when they perform an “sfc /scannow” command on Windows 10. System File Checker, commonly shortened to SFC, is a utility in Microsoft Windows that helps users scan and restore corrupted system files. However, if you are also one of the unfortunate users who faced the SFC Scan now not working problem on Windows 10, then do not panic.
This is a common issue and you can fix it quickly and easily with the solutions given below
When SFC scannow is stuck or failing error occurs, the system usually displays one of the following two error messages.
- Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation.
- Windows resource protection could not start the repair service.
This sfc /scannow not working Windows 10 issue occurs by many different things. Hence, in the following contents, we’ve put together different solutions for this problem. Let’s try them one by one until you’re no longer troubled by this issue.
The foremost thing you need to do to solve the ‘Windows Resource Protection could not perform’ error is to try running the SFC scannow command in safe mode. Try the steps below in order to do the same.
- Invoke the Run command box by pressing the Windows logo and R key together.
- In the dialog box, type “msconfig” and tap the OK button
- Navigate to the Boot tab, tick the checkbox placed alongside the “Safe boot” option, and then click the OK button.
- Select the “Restart” button when prompted by System Configuration popup window.
- This will boot your Windows computer into safe mode.
Now run the SFC command scannow in command prompt again and see if it gets complete. If the SFC scan still getting stuck halfway, try the next solution
Solution 2: Run CHKDSK (Check Disk)
The ‘SFC Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation’ error can also be caused by disk corruption or errors on the hard drive. In this conditions, you can use the Check Disk utility which helps you to scan the entire hard drive and fix various file system errors. Below are the instructions that you have to follow to run CHKDSK on your Windows 10.
- write ‘cmd’ or ‘command prompt’ in the Windows search box located at the bottom left part of your screen, right-click on Command Prompt, and then select the ‘Run as administrator’ option from the context menu.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the “chkdsk /r” command and then click on Enter on your keyboard.
- When prompted to schedule a disk check, type Y and hit the Enter key again.
- Exit the Command Prompt window and reboot your computer. Now, it will start the disk checking process and fix the detected hard drive faults automatically.
Once this disk error checking process is finished, run SFC /Scannow again to check whether the issue is resolved or not
Solution 3: Update Your System Drivers
It is possible that you’re getting the “SFC Windows Resource Protection that could not perform” error message because of an incompatible or corrupted device driver. Hence, you must check that the hardware drivers installed in your system are up-to-date, and update those that aren’t.
There are two ways to do so: manually and automatically.
Manual Way: You can manually update your drivers by using Windows built-in tools like Device Manager or you can search for the most recent driver on your hardware or PC manufacturer website.
Automatic Way: If you don’t have time or excellent computer knowledge to update your drivers manually, then you can do it automatically by using a trusted, third-party free driver updater for Windows 10, like Bit Driver Updater. This software automatically finds the latest drivers for your hardware devices and installs them into your system without requiring any tedious efforts from your end. Here’s how to use it.
- Install Bit Driver Updater on your system.
- Open the application and click the “Scan Drivers” button. Bit Driver Updater will scan your computer and provide you with a list of missing and faulty drivers.
- Select the “Update Now” button next to the device you want to install the latest driver for.
Given above are the three solutions which can fix your “Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation” error. try one by one until you find the perfect one. Hope this article is helpful for you and solves all your problem.