Steam content file locked error in 2020 | Fixed
Steam has been one of the top desktop clients when it comes to professional gaming. Be it DOTA or CS: GO, it has all the top-notch and famous titles in its library. Installing and paying on steam is easy but when it comes to updating them, many users face problems with various errors and Reddit is flooded with them.
So, our team decided to solve the most common problem while updating the game of the client i.e. content file locked.
The error is very common and one in every 20 users gets the message. It is indeed frustrating to get it everytime but in the article we have 3 best fixes to the problem.
Disclaimer: “Our team is not responsible for any damage or harm caused to system files or the files or send of the steam client.”
Top fixes to Content file locked error
1. Restarting the computer
In most of the cases, other programs are interrupting with the steam client such as Chrome that takes down RAM and leaves no space for the processes of steam to be carried out. To know if this is the problem causing agent, close Google Chrome or other applications and try again. Also, restart the computer and update the client to be sure about any issues due to other programs.
If the problem is not fixed, move on to the next fix.
2. Updating the graphics drivers
There is a high possibility that the graphics drivers are outdated that might be causing the error or some wrong driver that has been installed in your system.
For this, Install the correct driver from the official website of the manufacturer.
- Fill in the correct details of the brand of driver present in the system.
- Make sure it matches your computer architecture system.
If you are a newbie and still cannot find the relevant details about the graphics driver. This method will surely help you with that.
- Down the Driver Easy software from here.
- Run the software and click the Scan Now button.
- It will scan for all the outdated or corrupted drivers and present a list of all.
- Click Update All after buying the Pro version with a minimum charge.
Restart the computer and try installing the update to make sure the problem is fixed.
3. Disabling the antivirus software temporarily
There are chances that the problem is caused by the antivirus software that is preventing steam to run the background service for installing the update. In that case, temporary disable the antivirus software and start the update.
If the problem is fixed, Kudos. If not, try uninstalling the antivirus and install the update them install it back on the PC.
Bonus Tip | Conclusion
If the problem is not fixed, run the command prompt.
To do that,
- Press Windows key
- Start typing command.
- Click the first option named as command prompt.
- Now, press enter, Ctrl and shift keys simultaneously to run the application as an administrator.
- In the command prompt, type netsh winsock reset.
- Press Enter.
- Restart the PC and the service should now run smoothly.
Still, have any questions or other tips for better gaming? Comment down below and our team will reply as soon as possible.