A VPN is one of the must-have digital tools for every business that relies on the internet in its operations. With the continued rise in the number of cyber-threats, using a VPN is now more relevant than ever before. There was an estimated 600% increase in cybercrime during the covid19 pandemic.
Using a Virtual Private Network or VPN on all the computing devices of your business is one of the most effective ways to securely access the internet. When enabled on all your work device, a VPN will encrypt all the browsing data to ensure no third-party entities access it during transit. This ensures the privacy of your business information.
A VPN will also allow your team to get access region-locked websites and apps that might be useful in your business operations. The good news is that setting up a VPN is easier today than ever before. Let’s take you through some of the steps for installing and setting up a business VPN on all your work devices.
Choose the business VPN type
Business VPNs are mainly categorized into two;
- Client-to-site: This is where an individual user via their device is connected to the servers of the VPN service provider hence securing the business network from the public environment.
- Site-to-site VPN: It involves creating a connection between two different networks. This type of VPN is ideal for businesses with multiple branches.
Choose your business VPN
There are several business VPN options in the market today. However, not all of them are ideal for your business. Some of the crucial things you need to consider while choosing a business VPN include the following;
- Privacy reputation: You need to choose a VPN provider that hasn’t been involved in any major privacy-related scandals.
- Number and location of servers: The more the servers a VPN has the more the number of users it can support simultaneously without throttling their bandwidth. Top-rated VPNs like Surfshark have thousands of servers in multiple locations that ensure all their users have reliable connection speeds.
- Encryption standard: It is best to choose A VPN provider that uses the AES-256 encryption standard.
- Pricing: Make sure you choose a VPN that offers all the features you need within your budget.
Setting up your VPN
Once have chosen a VPN that meets your needs, the next step is setting it up on all your business devices. You simply have to download and install the business version of the VPN application from your device’s app store. Once the VPN is installed on your machine, launch it and authorize all the requested changes to your settings. Open the VPN app and turn on the connection button. You will be required to sign in using the credentials used to subscribe to the VPN service before accessing all the pro features of the VPN.