How to fix PFN LIST CORRUPT Blue Screen Error In Windows 10?
Nothing is perfect, not even the Windows 10, and one of the most common problems faced by the users is the PFN List Corrupt. It is one of the errors in the Windows that is displayed when the system shows BSOD errors are mostly caused due to a faulty driver, hard drive issue, and system damage. In this article, we will discuss the problem and the ways to get rid of the error.
Update Windows 10 and your drivers
Updates are crucial to give you a hassle-free experience and are applicable for Windows 10 too as they help you remove bugs and issues. The latest updates are very likely to fix most of the hardware and software issues, including the PFN LIST CORRUPT error, and will also give you bug fixes, security, and new features. Hence it is crucial to run Windows Update regularly to fix any hardware or software issue that arises on our PC. To update your drivers, you need to visit your hardware manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers to do it manually.
Run the BSOD Troubleshooter
If the previous fix didn’t work, you can try running the BSOD troubleshooter which is a part of Windows 10’s built-in troubleshooting tool. To run Windows 10’s troubleshooter follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app, go to the Update & Security section, and select Troubleshoot.
- Select BSOD and click Run the troubleshooter and follow the instructions on the screen.
- This might help you solve the problem.
Run the SFC scan
The third fix in our list is the SFC scan that is a command-line troubleshooter. The main advantage of it is that it can resolve various issues, including BSOD errors and you can run the SFC scan in Windows 10 using the following steps:
- Open the Start Menu button, go to Command Prompt and enter the following line: sfc/scannow
- Press Enter and wait until the process is done.
- After that, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.
The DISM stands for Deployment Image Servicing and Management and it re-deploys the system image, resolving potential issues. It can solve the PFN LIST CORRUPT error if you use the following steps:
- Open Command Prompt, paste the following command, and press Enter:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- After the scan is finished, restart your computer and try updating again.
Using the Windows installation media
- First of all, insert your Windows installation media, and open the Command Prompt.
- In the command line, type the following commands:
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Press Enter and type the following command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:SourcesInstall.wim:1 /LimitAccess
- Press Enter and make sure to change an X value. The letter will be changed with that of the mounted drive with the Windows 10 installation.
- After that, restart your computer to check if the issue has been resolved or not.
Check the hard drive
Something suspicious with your hard drive can also cause the BSODs. You need to check the condition of your hard drive by using the chkdsk command as given in the following steps:
- Enter the Advanced Startup, choose Troubleshoot, and go to Advanced Options.
- Select Command Prompt from the list of options and enter the following lines. Also, keep in mind to press Enter after each line to run it:
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd bootrec.exe /fixmbr bootrec.exe /fixboot
- After that, restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
Disable Microsoft OneDrive
Microsoft OneDrive is a great tool that allows you to share files with other users on the same platform. However, many users were not satisfied with the product and said that OneDrive can also cause PFN LIST CORRUPT error. To fix this issue, you will need to disable OneDrive, using the following these steps:
- Enter the group policy by pressing Windows Key + S simultaneously and select the Edit group policy.
- The Local Group Policy Editor will open, and you need to navigate to Local Computer Policy.
- After that, go to Computer Configuration, click on Administrative Templates, visit Windows Components, and click on OneDrive.
- Locate Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage and double click it.
- Now, select Enabled, click Apply, and OK to disable OneDrive.
- You can also use the Registry Editor to disable OneDrive by using the following steps:
- Press Windows Key + R keys simultaneously and enter Regedit.
- Click OK to start the Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:
- Expand the Windows key and search for OneDrive key and select it.
- You also need to right-click and choose New. Go to DWORD (32-bit) Value and enter DisableFileSyncNGSC as the name of the new DWORD.
- Open the DisableFileSyncNGSC, change its Value data to 1 and click.
It might also happen that you cannot access Windows 10 due to the error. In that case, you will have to perform these steps from Safe Mode using the following steps:
- Restart your computer a few times while it boots.
- Choose Troubleshoot, go to Advanced options, and click on Startup Settings.
- After that, click the Restart button and press F5 to select Safe Mode with Networking.
- After that, disable the OneDrive.
Uninstall the problematic software.
The antivirus installed on your PC can also cause BSOD errors and the important thing to note is that almost any antivirus software can cause BSoD error. You can uninstall any third-party antivirus software and check if the problem has been solved.
Also, many users reported that the error can be fixed by removing the Etron driver using the following steps:
- Press Windows Key + X and select Device Manager from the list.
- Once the Device Manager starts, locate the driver, right-click it, and choose Uninstall.
- Check Delete the driver software for this device, click OK and restart your computer.
Check your hardware
The PFN LIST CORRUPT error can also be caused by faulty hardware, mainly the RAM. Hence, you need to check if your RAM is working properly. If your RAM is working fine, you can also check if other components, like the motherboard, network card, and graphics card, are working properly.